Annual Mayor's Riverfront Walk and Herb Gray

Friends,

I attended the Annual Mayor's Riverfront Walk yesterday to celebrate Windsor's birthday and to support a friend who was recognized for an award from the Mayor's Youth Advisory Committee (MYAC). It was a great turnout and such a beautiful day.

Here are a few pictures from that event.



On my way back home, I biked past the Herb Gray sculpture at the foot of Ouellette on the riverfront. I took a moment to remember all of the things I learned from the late Herb Gray. Some say he was a statesman who listened and worked hard for his constituents and who represented both his riding of Windsor West and his country well.

“He was a man of the people…one of a kind”, exclaimed a close-by neighbour and west-end resident who remembers volunteering on his campaigns back in the 1970’s and 80’s.

Over the past several years, I have had the privilege of meeting many long-time west-end residents who recall the days of Herb Gray. Overwhelmingly, residents would say he took care of his constituents. Whatever they needed, or whatever problem they had, he would help solve or guide them in the right direction.

Other traits that made him particularly special included his humility, his wit and intelligence, his great sense of humour and his mastery in the House of Commons.

Although I have personally never met the man, I have learned so much from him through the stories of others who have met him and known him. He has inspired me, as I am sure he has inspired many, to strive towards social justice and to never forget where you come from.

Herb Gray dedicated his life to public service. He, along with others, helped pave the road for my grandparents who first immigrated to Canada in the 1960s to create a better life for themselves and their family. For that alone I am grateful and indebted.

Farewell, Right Honourable Herb Gray, and thank you for setting an example for us to follow.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Re-Election Campaign for City Council!

Huron Church Road Closure